Monday, June 25, 2018

Toucan Hunting and Cuban Radiologists

                                                                                                     June 5, 2018

Hello all!

Boy do I have a lot to tell you. Many of you may be wondering why I didn't write yesterday. Do not worry; I will tell you why.

But first, I wanted to share a few pictures from last week. Last Monday, (on our P-day) we had the opportunity to go toucan hunting. We found that they were quite elusive, but after about an hour and a half of walking silently through the woods, we snagged these pictures.


 It was really cool to see them!

Yesterday, (P-day) we had the opportunity to go to Villamontes for a zone activity. It was about an hour and a half from Yacuiba.

We saw a lot of amazing things and had quite the adventure!



Elder Aldaz and I came across some pigs and had a lot of fun with them.





We also got to go fishing on the river...

Something that you may not know, is that I really don't know how to fish. My loving father really wanted to take me, but for some reason we didn't get the chance. I remember once, having had a very traumatic experience with fishing hooks when I was about 13 years old, so as you can imagine, this made me a little nervous.

Thanks to an extremely kind and patient companion, I finally learned how to fish. He didn't let his fear of getting hooked overcome his desire to help me learn to fish.

And after about 23 casts, I didn't catch a single fish! But Elder Aldaz caught a lovely catfish, and I didn't hurt anyone which was a miracle.
 
After the fishing we had steak and cheesy rice for lunch (a Bolivian favorite) and then headed to a cool looking rock we saw in the distance.
 


 
 
 
 
 
 When it came time for Elder Aldaz to get off the rock, he went off a steeper side and didn't land right. So after a long trip back to Yacuiba, we were in the hospital at 5:30.

The hospital people were in no rush to take care of his ankle so at about 7 he finally got it x-rayed and luckily there was no fracture, but at 8:30 they put his leg in a cast. (I got to see it all so I know how to make a cast if anyone is interested.

At 9 we left the hospital and went to our 7:30 appointment which we weren't able to cancel because they had gathered the whole family and also made steak and cheesy rice for us. Needless to say my companion can't walk for the moment and we recently received a call from President letting us know he will be spending the next two weeks in Santa Cruz :( He leaves tomorrow which is a real bummer, but hopefully he will be back for the last week of my mission.

My new companion is Elder Calani. The exciting thing is he is Bolivian! My first Bolivian companion!! He was serving in Nicaragua, but apparently things got dangerous and there are no longer missionaries there. I am nervous/sad/excited and honestly have no idea what to expect! Lesson learned: be careful with large rocks.

This Sunday was amazing! EVERYONE went to church! There is always a silver lining...Paul, Joel, Felix, Elmer, and Wilson's (the taxi driver) kids. We were so happy for all of them and they are making huge progress. We were able to fast with Paul this weekend and will continue working with him to help him feel ready for baptism. He finished 1 Nephi this week. What a guy.

Wilson and his family are amazing! We taught them the message of the Restoration this week and they embraced it so well. They went to our movie night Saturday (The only ones there) and are progressing well.

I can't remember much else for the moment because I have a thousand things on my mind, but I am grateful for the kind, encouraging voice of the Spirit! It will always uplift us and help us know what God wants us to know. If we are living righteously, He will comfort us and reassure us. There is nothing more incredible than hearing His loving and encouraging voice!

Love,

Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment