Friday, January 13, 2017

"Teach Me to Walk in the Light"

                                                                                                  December 26, 2016
 
Hi Family! So great to see you all on Skype yesterday! I feel so blessed with such incredible family and friends!!
This week was unforgettable! My first Christmas in the mission and I could not have asked for better memories. I will just share a few of my favorite parts.

On Wednesday we were teaching a lesson to a new family and before we said the opening prayer I explained to them how we pray. I guess I just wasn't thinking and I said "To pray, we cross our eyes and close our arms" and then I few seconds later I realized what I said and just cracked up hahaha. But part of me wishes I hadn´t corrected myself because I would have liked to see if they actually crossed their eyes as part of the prayer haha.
 
One of the challenges for Light the World I did this week was to say all prayers of gratitude for a day. I did it throughout the day and it was hard! We are so used to asking and asking and asking that sometimes we forget that we already have so much. At the end of the day I was so much happier and felt more gratitude for all of the blessings I have received!

This week we had a Ward talent show where some Ward members re-enacted the Christmas story. Here is a picture of our three wise men.














My companion and I were asked to do a skit on "premortal life." It was a little rough, but we enjoyed being a part. Our Ward activities start really late here, so while were waiting for it to start, the other Ward had a baptism and we were able to go to the baptism with the Familia Vaca Mendez!
They are progressing well and are on track to be baptized early in January!

Sonia told us she wants more time to finish the Book of Mormon before her baptism, so her baptism will be the 14th of January! I really hope I stay another cambio so I can be here for her baptism!
 
Here is a picture of us visiting with the Mercado family kids, Bruno, Anthony, and Steven.



My favorite part of the week was singing hymns as a zone in the plaza. On Christmas Eve we sang for about an hour and it was so special. We started singing Christmas hymns, but then moved to hymns of the restoration and other well known hymns. One of the songs we sang was, "Teach Me to Walk in the Light." As we were singing, I realized that this song more than any other describes the reason we celebrate Christmas. He came here to teach us to follow him. He came here to teach us to pray. He came here to teach us what we have to do to return to our heavenly father. And by atoning for our sins, He did what was necessary to bring us back to our Heavenly home. I am so grateful for his life and his light. It is such an amazing message we have to share with those we love - at Christmas time and throughout the year. "God loves us so He sent His son!"
 
I can say with certainty this is the best decision I have ever made! I love my mission and I love this gospel!
 
Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment