Monday, September 26, 2016

Iveth's Baptism

                                                                                                           Sept. 26, 2016
 
Hola Familia!
 
So at this point you may be asking ¨"Who the heck is Iveth" because I never have said anything about her before. Iveth is a 13 year old girl who has been meeting with the missionaries for a long time, but has struggled with the decision to be baptized. I have taught her a few times since I got here, but she told us she wasn´t ready yet. On Thursday we met with her and she told us she was ready and Saturday we had the baptism!


Lots of the youth were able to come support her and it went really well! She told us afterwards that she felt a lot better than before, which was so great to hear because whenever we ask her how she feels she just says "bien no mas" haha. Baptism is such a blessing and such an amazing opportunity we have to help people enter the kingdom of God!

I'm happy to report that our Ward mission leader fixed my camera this week haha...he is not a camera guy but somehow knew that I needed to turn on macro mode so that should do it. A really simple fix!
So I'm going to be able to send more pictures.

A picture of our Bishop (front) and Ward Mission Leader, Hermano
Nunez, (back) who is also our pension or caretaker who feeds us.  
In answering questions in regards to our eating situation, we have a pension (caretaker who feeds us)where we eat lunch every day. The pension is paid through our monthly mission funds. The Ward mission leader is our pension so that's been fun. The food is pretty good and normal - always soup first, then some rice and meat and veggies, then a dessert. His wife makes a KILLER homemade chocolate ice cream, but she only made it once so I am still hoping haha. Also everyone here makes really good fruit juices and I have really enjoyed those. Nothing has been too strange yet. We eat with a member family each Sunday. We usually don´t eat dinner to save money and because lunch is huge, but I have choco krispis or frosted flakes for breakfast every morning.

Hmm what else...on Monday we had a fun zone activity where we went to a wildlife park and played soccer and explored. We also got some pretty sweet zone shirts and I really enjoyed it! Anyway at the park we saw a few alligators, a sloth, and a monkey. It was so funny because Elder Sierra wanted to find a monkey the whole time (it reminded me of Theo and the sea turtles) and we searched for a while and finally as we were leaving the park there was one swinging around. Elder Sierra was so happy that God answered his prayers haha.
 
Also, we had a zone conference on Tuesday with President Rodriguez and it was great to hear from him. He focused on the Spirit and what we can do better to have the Spirit with us throughout the day. President compared the Spirit to the sun. It is in one place, but we can all feel its warmth if we want to. It requires action on our part however. We have to do something as easy as going outside or opening up the windows in order to feel the light of the sun. Similarly, it is not hard to feel the Spirit, but we have to do our part!
 
On Tuesday night I got really sick and so I was in bed for most of Wednesday which was a bummer. I felt a lot better by Wednesday night but I continued having really severe stomach pains until Friday. I got some medicine and I am back to normal now but for this reason we weren´t able to do a lot this week. 

The last thing I wanted to share is a special experience I had yesterday. After Church I was feeling pretty down because a few members made comments about how quiet I was when I told them I wanted to be a lawyer and it is really hard sometimes when people can´t see who I really am because I can´t speak to them well. Anyway, I was depressed about not being able to be myself here, but I had the chance to study my call letter and patriarchal blessing for a few minutes. I was able to feel of the love Heavenly Father has for me and it was a powerful testimony to me of the Holy Ghost´s role as a comforter. He sent the Spirit to comfort me during this time and I was completely overwhelmed by the love and hope I felt. The language is getting better and everything will get better! Heavenly Father loves us and the reason we have been given the gift of the Holy Ghost is so that no matter what happens, we will never feel alone or abandoned. Turn to Him in hard times and He will send His comforter. There is a peace that we can find in Him that we cannot find in the world.
 
I love you all so much and hope you have a great week! All is well here and there is something to learn, love, and enjoy every day!
 
Love,
 
Elder Harris


No comments:

Post a Comment