Friday, July 22, 2016

First Week in CCM

                                                                                                                    July 22, 2016
Hola Familia!
 
Como le va? 
 
I was so happy to hear from all of you! Thanks for your kind letters and encouragement. I´m glad there is plenty of exciting stuff keeping you busy back home. Don´t worry about me because I am having a wonderful time and I´m not at all homesick (sorry if that was offensive, I meant no offense to anyone whatsoever haha). 

The CCM (That´s what the missionary training center is called here in Mexico City) is an awesome place!!
 
The weather here is amazing (it never gets above 75 and below 50) and the food never fails to disappoint. I usually eat a bowl of cereal with most meals because fruit loops are the only thing keeping me connected to the states.
 

Missionary Apartments at the CCM
We eat a lot of Mexican food, watermelon and canteloupe, and Costco pizza on Tuesdays! It is all you can eat so I haven´t been making the healthiest decisions, and when I went to weigh myself the scale was in kilos. So basically I have no idea if I am gaining or losing weight. If anyone can give me the pounds to kilos conversion rate that would be great.
 
So much has happened in the past week and a half that I hope I have time to tell you all the important things!
 


First off, my district has 8 elders and 2 hermanas and we are all from the U.S.
Four of us are going to Paraguay, 4 to Chile, one to Houston Texas, and then there is me going to Bolivia.

My companion, Elder Hale is from Richmond Kentucky. He is a huge soccer player and also a really good spanish speaker. We work pretty well together and it has been a really good time.

 
Everyone in our district is super funny in their own way and so most of the time we just spend laughing together. We also have an INSANELY good piano player, a swimmer for BYU, and a guy who is playing football at Wyoming when he returns.
 

 Some of my favorite experiences from the week:
 
We study the book of mormon with our instructor every day in the morning for about half an hour. One day last week we were studying 1 Nephi chapter 8, which talks about the tree of life and Lehi trying to help his family partake of it. In verse 37 it says: "And he did exhort them with all the feeling of a tender parent, that they would hearken to his words." As I read this verse and I thought about it, I felt so much love for the people of Bolivia. I felt how much God loved them and how much I needed to love them in order to teach them. Love for the people we teach is so important, and I have had so many times this week where I have had a small glimpse of that love.
 
Sometimes this week it was challenging to trust in God. Mexico City is at almost 8,000 feet above sea level and my asthma has been pretty tough, especially when exercising. When it got really bad I began to doubt whether I would be okay in Bolivia, where some places are higher. I immediately thought about how I was called by God and he knows me PERFECTLY. He knows exactly what I can handle and why I need to go to Bolivia. He called me to Bolivia and he will help me because I am on His errand. The same goes for spanish. I have a lot of fears that I wont be able to learn the language or speak it well or understand it, but I have to trust that through faith in Him i will be able to accomplish all things.
 
Sunday was probably one of the best days of my entire life. I felt the spirit so strongly while partaking of the sacrament and I began to cry because of how much gratitude i felt for the savior and his divine sacrifice. Later Sunday night, we watched The Testaments, which is a movie about the life and resurrection of the Savior as described in both the Bible and Book of Mormon. It is an amazing movie and all of you should watch it! I know that the Savior lives and that we have so much evidence that this is true! He is real and He is there for each one of us. I´m sorry I'm out of time, but I know the Book of Mormon is true, and that through Christ, we can change anything and overcome any weakness!
 
Love you all! Have a great week!
 
Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment